Ok, the main problem is, i have just got a Compaq Deskpro EN desktop computer, and what is the best use of it?
The system configuration is
- 1. It has a intel p3 933mhz processor (maybe).
- 256MB ram.
- Onboard graphics(functioning and i don’t know the graphics memory).
- A 40GB maxtor HDD.
- A CD rom drive.
- A Floppy disk drive.
- An extra graphics/agp card mounted on pci port I don’t know the company name or memory.
- A parallel port(idea : i can play with it).
- Two serial(COM) ports. (this is a bonus coz i can attach two arduino with the system and do many things with it)
- Two USB ports..(has many implementations /flexibility)
- An ethernet port.(it can act as a web server/ftp server.
- PS2 ports for mouse and keyboard.
I am trying to install the operating system. The thing has a sticker in front of it that says ” Designed For Windows 2000 ” . I have downloaded Windows 2000 and burned to a CD and booted, installed.
A smile appeared on my face. Not for the reason that i gave a life to that thing, I have discovered that this old thing is pretty much faster with the operating system it have built for.
And it disappeared when i discovered that no audio/video is playing cause there is no drivers for them. It was no problem for me cause i know where i can find the drivers. After a little googling, i found hp website and downloaded the drivers..
This story could end here but I am a little bit more curious. I have not stopped here.
This is a small list of my trying and failing.
- Ubuntu desktop(It boots but stops in the middle. maybe for huge bootscreen image)
- DamnSmall Linux(Stops in the middle for an unknown error)
- Puppy Linux(Stops in the middle for an unknown error)
- SLAX(Stops in the middle for an unknown error)
After those embarrassing failure i just stopped burning and destroying my disc’s and started think that where is the main problem?
I thought it maybe for the low graphics memory the system has on it.
And then I’ve downloaded the ubuntu minimalist CLI (Command Line Install) version, those are less than 30MB, burned, and tried. It works Hoorray…….
Now this is time for going further.
I’ve downloaded Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server CLI version, burned on a CD and installed it on the old machine. Restarted, this time I am surprised coz it have loaded with the GUI. But much slower and with a 640×480 resolution.
Now, I want to go much more further.. Stay with me to read the stories………………………..